Sunday, October 25, 2009

Making It Official

What constitutes as an "official" relationship, ladies and gents? I hear a lot of, "We're dating/seeing each other, but we're not official yet."

I used to think it was based solely on the condition that there would the "question" popped, similar to a proposal ... and maybe it still is, you tell me.

No longer are we in the era of traditional dating where the person you DO start dating would be your potential partner. No, we've suddenly moved on to this concept of "dealing" or "checking" with all the complications of ambiguity without THE question.

You would think that given the positive circumstances for example like, talking on the phone for hours, going on numerous dates on a regular basis you would kind of get the drift ... but I suppose there's a lack of trust...

HOWEVER, in my humble opinion, I feel that yes, while there may/could be the question popped ... I think it is OR should be rather, based on a mutual trust that the two parties are mutually on the same page of mutual exclusivity.

What do you guys think?

We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone, but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy.

Walter Anderson

4 comments:

  1. I think it's both when the "question" is "popped" and when you both are mutually on the same page. I think most of the time you just KNOW, but I guess it's not always so obvious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you ladies! TRUST needs to be the key ingredient!
    BUT my fav, is when both parties are not on the same page. One might think they are just seeing eachother, while the other might think they are in an exclusive relationship. One thing I have learned is that you need to actually SPEAK to eachother, and tell your partner how you feel. Or else your meaning could be lost in translation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

    Personally, I feel as though once you reach a certain level of maturity, 'popping a question' is no longer necessary. I find the "question" is a technique mainly used during the 'tween' stage in order to solidify the bond between two young crushes. However, as we grow older and develop more intimate relationships, adults commonly decide to solidify their bond with a ring.

    Therefore, I think the 'question' and the development of a 'mutual understanding' are both correct in deciding what is right. Each merely act as representations on an individuals path towards love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only say a guy's perspective that it's more convenient to just be "seeing each other" than actually dating or working towards some kind of question. Labels like bf and gf only add complication and restriction, which, at this point in our lives, is annoying and deceiving.

    I would say if your "man" doesn't define what your relationship is, he hasn't just presumed you're both committed. He's probably hoping the definition means as little to you as it does to him.

    ReplyDelete