Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Undomestic Goddess

Yes, the title is in reference to Sophie Kinsella's The Undomestic Goddess. (Good book, recommended read!)

But that's besides the point.

What I'm trying to get at is, after going to university I've realized how ... undomesticated many women are, namely me. My mom used to scold me about how if I didn't step my game up in cooking and cleaning, I'd never marry ...

And now is the time when I realize that mommas really know best.

Here are some of the observations I've made to come to the conclusion that ... women are growing more and more undomesticated (there are exceptions, of course, as with everything else).

  • The guys on my floor in first-year residence had cleaner rooms than the so-called ladies on our floor, mine included.
  • The guys I know how to cook tastier meals
  • They also cook more
  • They're more efficient at I guess... all the domestic things that we, women should be efficient at.

Are women at a loss? Would you still date them and take care of them if they weren't as domesticated as what the traditional household demands?

Why do you think for some the tables have turned?

3 comments:

  1. Haha that was a cute book!

    I don't think it applies to everyone, and therefore cannot be generalized, but I have also noticed that my guy friends are VERY clean/neat and also cook more often and better tasting things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Becky.
    But boy it would be great if they could give birth to babies too.
    Then we would be set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a big deal, this whole undomesticated thing. Since we were cavepeople we'd been living a certain way. Only a few decades ago, women had a liberation and walked away from traditional (restrictive) roles. Problem was, men didn't have a revolution. The result? A big, shapely void where someone once managed the home, children and family.

    Where's the family keeper?

    Feminism rejected housewives as some kind of hegemonic slave. But divorce rates are on the ups and men are struggling to find their place without a revolution of their own. Post-feminism argues in part that women should, possibly, return to traditional roles. The onus is on society to value these roles appropriately. They are, after all, incredibly important to society and the family unit.

    So yes, learn to sew, cook, and such things. Knit! Make quilts. I don't know. But without my own revolution you can't expect me to do these things...

    ReplyDelete