Monday, September 28, 2009

Best (Fe)Male Friend

In preschool, I remember having male and female friends.

In elementary school, members of the opposite sex suddenly had cooties.

In middle school, hormones kicked in and suddenly girls were trying to get the attention from the guys and vice versa.

In high school, some of us grew up a bit more and maybe, possibly disguised some immense admiration for one another by deeming each other "best friends." I remember having "best" guy friends in high school and some of them remain "best" or good friends to this day.

But what does being a best friend entail? Best friends usually involve being completely honest with each other, with the deepest darkest secrets divulged, sometimes even spending most of the time together... some best friends were referred to being conjoined at the hip, completely inseparable.

I told someone in tenth grade that I had a best friend that was a guy and he told me I couldn't really be best friends with a guy if I didn't like him, whatever that meant. I was completely convinced that I didn't like him, and I still am. He told me that maybe now you can be best friends with a member of the opposite sex but later on, it can definitely not work out if you're married to someone else.

I didn't understand then, I do now.

The person you develop an intimate relationship with, the person you choose to spend the rest of your life with,

should be your best friend.

Photo Credit: Static Romance

"I'm lucky to be in love with my best friend."
Jason Mraz

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Just found your blog!
    Good insights. As you get older it becomes significantly harder to maintain the same relationships you had with people of the opposite sex.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say, "The person you develop an intimate relationship with, the person you choose to spend the rest of your life with, should be your best friend", I completely agree, however, I don't believe that it's impossible to have a best friend of the opposite sex while being with someone else. I guess that's from personal experience... up to now, but we'll see what happens in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I never realized how insightful blogging could be. Makes me want to hold onto my (male) best friend and not find that "special someone" for many years to come.

    Do you think you can still be best friends with your male best friend, or do you think you will completely drift apart over time?

    Great Blog! Great Ideas! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete