Friday, November 13, 2009

Interracial Relationships

Growing up in Toronto is probably one of the best things that could happen in your life (and London is slowly becoming like Toronto). I say this because there's so much going on and so much to see and best of all, it's the most diverse city in the world.

That being said, interracial relationships are becoming more common and more prevalent and you'd think that familes that immigrate here would begin to understand cultural mixing and not expect you to date those of the same "colour". However, sometimes that is not the case and parental influence is a huge part in making a relationship work.

Yes, while there are social preferences of how to get your S.O. integrated into your family, mainly standards set by your parents, I think there can be a compromise to change your parents' hearts if they are so against interracial relationships. (Sometimes I really hate the concept of "race" because while it may be an identity, it also socially and culturally divides us. :( but that's besides the point).

I do understand where the parents are coming from because sometimes they want to relate to their future in-laws more easily but it's such an aggravating experience trying to convince them. I have some suggestions on how to get on the parents' good sides, let me know if you think they may work!
  • learn the basics of the language they speak
  • learn to love the food they eat
  • buy them culturally relevant gifts on occasion
  • at the risk of rejection, relate on their level with their other interests
  • convince them that you'll have drop dead gorgeous kids (haha)
  • more???
Have you ever found yourself in an interracial relationship vs. your parents' preferences? Were your parents open to the idea or were they not? How did you cope?

This is yet another hilarious video by Wong Fu Productions on interracial couples - a different perspective but enjoy nonetheless!

3 comments:

  1. Rach, I seem to always be able to relate to your posts! I come from a HUGE italian family, and when I told my grandmother I was dating a filipino she was slightly disapointed but moved on to ask me "does he have lots of money?"

    Im very lucky not to have any issues over who I date with my parents, but I do understand how differnt race and religions can sometimes be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alex I also come from an Italian family and I totally understand how weird it can be explaining to old Italians that you are not dating another Italian. Whenever I see my nonna the first thing she asks is "You have-a boyfriend? Italiano?" I was dating someone of another race and while my family is quite liberal and understanding, they felt that there were too many "cultural differences" between us that would cause problems in the future. It's a more difficult road, but you can't help who you love!

    @Rahella True about the gorgeous kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Alex: HAHAHAHHA I think that's what most parents or grandparents ask regardless of race, we're so superficial LOL

    @Kristina: The first thing my mom asked me when I first started dating my current boyfriend was exactly the same question, except with the word Chinese. And then she went on to ask if he even spoke a word of the language, I answered, a little (enough to understand).

    Still she wasn't completely satisfied...

    ReplyDelete